Starting a Fitness Exercise Program Helps Millions Beat the Winter Blues
According to information pulled from medical professionals, such as nurses, physical therapists, and doctors, starting a fitness exercise program has assisted millions in beating the winter blues. During the periods of the year when colder weather starts to occur, it is common for many to develop what is referred to as the “winter blues”. When this develops, corresponding ailments start to develop. Examples include the onset of the common cold, higher levels of respiratory congestion, seasonal-based depression, and increased levels of fatigue. Many individuals have the tendency to become inactive during the winter. Given the shortened days and the increased chill, many find that they lack the motivation to engage in highly active activities or even leave the house; however, exercise training programs have been found to provide a natural and instant boost to both a person’s physiological health and psychological health. If you find yourself battling the winter blues, a fitness exercise program has the capability to pull you out of the despair, depression, and fatigue that are commonly associated with seasonal-based moodiness and health complications.
Exercise – When You Need it Most
There are several studies that support the overall effectiveness of regular exercise in order to manage any type of mental stress, optimize cognitive-based performance, and improve general energy levels. Winter is the one time of the year when we need exercise the most, but, most find it exceptionally difficult to engage in a fitness exercise program during this time of the year. Most individuals pass around the excuses that they lack the time or the energy to exercise during the cold months. Others blame the short days for their lack of physical activity. As a result, the belief becomes instilled in the mind that we are unable to maintain any type of regimen for exercise training programs. As a result, we have the tendency to become exceptionally disempowered to take the steps that are necessary to make a positive change when it comes to optimizing our physical fitness during winter. Even in the most frigid times of the year that are plagued by lower levels of sunshine, you must work to change the internal negative self-talk and dialogue as it pertains to engaging in a fitness exercise program during the winter months. This is the time of the year when you need exercise the most and you must personally commit to making this a priority for your physiological and psychological health.
The Benefits of a Winter Fitness Exercise Program
In addition to beating the winter blues, there are several other benefits associated with engaging in a winter fitness exercise program. They are as follows:
- Weight Loss – With the winter months come the many holiday dinners and meals. If you are inactive, you are sure to rack up a few unwanted pounds. By exercising on a regular basis, you have the ability to eliminate weight that may prove to be detrimental to your health.
- Improved Body Image – When you are plagued by the winter blues, you may find that you do not have a positive body image. Exercising not only assists in improving your appearance so that you feel better about yourself, but, it releases endorphins that will help you feel better about yourself. As a result, you will find that your body image is dramatically improved.
- Improved Energy Levels – The next benefit of engaging in exercise training programs to beat the winter blues is that your energy levels will improve. As a result of higher levels of energy, you will find that your mood improves, too!
- Improved Detoxification – At any given time, the body contains a wide array of toxins. By exercising during the winter months, you are equipping the body in such a way that it is able to successfully eliminate any accumulated toxins. Not only will this help you feel better, it will also reduce weight.
- Increased Circulation – When involved in a fitness exercise program, the circulation in the body is improved. There are many benefits to increased circulation. Examples include optimized cell growth and function, the development of healthy skin, and healthier blood pressure levels.
- Improved Immunity – When you involve yourself in a fitness exercise program, the lymphatic system circulation is improved, as well as the cardiovascular circulation. As a result, the immune system experiences a natural boost, which will help in protecting you from germs and other potentially hazardous microbes.
- Reduced Stress and Depression – Exercise is a natural “feel good” activity that has the ability to reduce any stress and/or depression that is experienced during the winter months.
If you want to beat the winter blues, a fitness exercise program will aid in your success. You must commit to working out a little each day; however, you should avoid generic exercise training programs. Instead, you should opt for physical activities that you have an interest in and will enjoy. For example, if you are a social person, you should opt for a Zumba class or a dance class. If you are a bit on the quiet side or consider yourself a private person, you may benefit from a personal trainer or from integrating gym equipment into your home. Whatever route you decide to go, you should make sure that it is an enjoyable one. This way, you will stay committed to your goals and will achieve the highest level of success in beating the winter blues.